caret icon Back to all discussions

What triggers your HS flares?

Certain types of foods, products, stress, hormones, smoking, genetics, alcohol, and a host of other factors can cause HS flares. A place to exchange ideas, tips, and experiences all related to HS triggers.

What are your triggers? How did you figure them out?

1. I don't know what my triggers are. I get flairs on a monthly basis so I think mine are triggered by my menstrual cycle but since I'm going through menopause they have decreased in number although I do still get them they are not as bad but still worrisome. Believe it or not I just started getting treatment for them from a dermatologist.

1. if u don't mind me asking g what type of treatment and is it painful

2. Stress. I graduated from a masters program in May and still havent found a job. I am at my most streessed and I am currently battling 5 big lesions, 1 in a place that is totally random and new which means the disease is getting worse.

1. Triggers that I have been able to identify are: sugar, chocolate, ice cream, hot weather, overweight. I think sometimes we are HS detectives! Oh by the way, this is my 1st post! Hello everyone. Glad to be here. 😊

1. I honestly don't know what my trigger is. I've had this condition since I was a child but wasn't diagnosed until I was 21. I had such a huge knot under my armpit that had no draining, at least not outside of my body but it hurt me so much my Dr. Removed it and did a skin graft. It came out the size of a golf ball with a kind of cone shape on the bottom. He sent it to the mayo clinic and told me what it was. He didn't even know much about it. I moved and couldn't even remember what it was called. I'm now 48 and my youngest daughter now has it. I again have an open tract under my arm and the knot is deep below. It has little draining but feels like I have a ball under my arm and it's painful. I wash under my arms with acne wash and don't spray Deodorant directly on that area. But it's not going away and I need some sort of relief under my arm. It's exhausting trying to sleep because I have to have material or something covering it. I really hate having this and am seeking help through a psychiatrist because it and other things have played a HUGE part of my relationships or lack there of. I've never been married and shy away from intimacy because I didn't want to explain them nor did I want them to catch it. I struggled living in Florida not wanting to go to the beach with all my friends because of my need to hide them. This condition ruined my childhood and most of my adult life. 😪

1. Ty, I really am so happy I found this group. It's nice to know I'm not alone but sad this is what brought us all together. I know it can't be transmitted but not knowing what I even had and them draining I just would NEVER do that to anybody just for my own selfish needs, had it been contagious. Shoot I thought maybe it was an sad for such a long time. I see my psychiatrist in the morning and I can say a huge weight has lifted that I'm going to seek help but the anxiety is awful because I've been an introvert forever. Once I get this first visit under my belt then I think things might get better. My girls are seeking help for it as well. I do not want them to ever lock themselves away like I did out of fear of having it. Ty for welcoming me. 😊

2. Hi Tonya! This is definitely the club that none of us want to belong to, that's for sure. I'm so glad you are making these connections. Take your time, we will be here. Sending many hugs to you and your girls! ~Chelsea (Team Member)

Please read our rules before posting.