When first starting my nightshade-free journey, there was one food I knew I needed to find a replacement for pronto: french fries! I am more of a savory person than a sweet person and French fries were always a quick and easy meal whether homemade or prepared from frozen that I could make when I was low on energy and time. I mean, anything I can just throw in the oven (or better yet, the air fryer) and walk away from until they are ready is a huge win for me! When I first heard about carrot fries I was extremely skeptical, but once I figured out how to get them nice and crispy I actually found I enjoyed them more than regular fries! (I’m serious!) These French fry dupes are quick, crispy, delicious, and as an added bonus they can be made in the oven OR the air fryer!
Serving size: Makes 2 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for carrot fries
1 lb. bag of carrots
1 bunch parsley, cilantro, or scallions (optional)
1 tsp gluten-free flour of your choice (I like arrowroot!)*
1 tsp corn starch (Or sub an extra tsp of flour)*
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
2 tsp vegetable oil
*This is ESSENTIAL to get the crispy texture you’re looking for!
Directions for carrot fries
- Preheat oven to 425F, or 400F in the air fryer.
- Peel carrots and cut them into thin sticks (I find that cutting the carrots in half, then quartering those halves works best if you are using medium carrots.)
- Toss the carrots in the oil and spices until well coated.
- Place the carrots in a single layer on a lined baking sheet (Parchment paper or tin foil is fine) or in the basket of the air fryer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping them halfway through or shaking the basket every 5 minutes.
- Top the carrot fries with parsley, cilantro, or scallions and serve hot!
An important note: The corn starch and flour will crisp up very dark and can almost look burnt. This is normal! Keep checking them every 5 minutes or so- when they’re done a fork can slide into them with ease.
- calories: 161
- cholesterol: 0mg
- dietary fiber: 7.5g
- protein: 4.3g
- sodium: 474mg
- sugars: 16.2g
- total carbohydrates: 28g
- total fat: 4.7g
Disclaimer: HSDisease.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you ever experienced painsomnia?