Tell us about your symptoms and treatment experience. Take our survey here.

caret icon Back to all discussions

How old were you when you were diagnosed?

Getting a correct diagnosis can take so long. How old were you when you were officially diagnosed with hidradenitis suppurativa?

1. So,I was just diagnosed yesterday.I am 43 and have been suffering with this since I was 10.No one would,or could tell me what was going on until yesterday,and it was because my drs.husband has hs.

1. Welcome, ! Oh my heart hurts for you that you've been suffering with HS since you were ten with no answers as to what was going on! While I'm sorry that you experience HS, I'm so glad that you found our community here, and that you finally have a diagnosis because hopefully that means you'll be able to get some relief! How are you feeling about your diagnosis?

I also wanted to share this article with you that one of our advocates put together with her advice for the newly diagnosed, https://hsdisease.com/living/advice-diagnosed.

Please don't hesitate to reach out here any time, whether you're looking for information, could use some support, or just need to vent. We are here for you!

-- Warmly, Christine (Team Member)

2. I was embarrassed, I didn't even show my Dr until later in life.

1. I late 20s.

1. I was misdiagnosed at 13. Diagnosed with stage 1 HS at 18 YO. I am 33 now. I’ve been on several different medications and have had numerous amounts of test. It’s safe to say “the struggle has been real.” I started juicing in 2019. I went from having frequent flare ups to having lesser symptoms. However, I am still on my health journey to ultimately combat my illness. I still have immune triggers in which I’d like to reverse. I wish everyone well on their HS journey.💜

Please read our rules before posting.